ITALIAN CHOPPED SALAD
Truly the best Italian Chopped salad packed with fresh goodness, plus salami, provolone, pepperoncini, and olives. It's light, yet hearty, and also delicious with a zippy Italian vinaigrette!
- Two large heads romaine lettuce
- Half of a medium red onion (peeled it and then sliced it into very thin rings - I prefer to use a mandoline for fast, easy, regular slices)
- 1/2 c. sliced black olives
- 1/2 c. sliced pepperoncini rings
- 1/2 lb. good quality salami sliced cut it into 1/4" ribbons
- 1/2 lb. provolone sliced and cut it into 1/4" ribbons
- 12 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- freshly crushed black pepper
- kosher salt if you want
- Italian Vinaigrette
- For the lettuce, I like manageable bite-wise pieces. I don't also want to require a knife to eat Italian salad! So I cut it romaine vertically, from the root end two or three times to the tips of the leaves (don't cut through the root, to keep the head intact).
- Then I cut crosswise into 1/2" to 3/4" ribbons. Cut the root end.
- To assemble the salad: In a large pot (my preferred salad bowl is a large stainless steel one), gently close together red onion, pepperoncini, black olives, provolone, and salami. Drizzle about a half cup of the Italian Vinaigrette up these ingredients, and later considerately fold again.
- Add tomatoes and prepared lettuce, gently folding to incorporate. Taste for seasoning and add kosher salt (if required) and more of the Vinaigrette, (if required). Freshly ground black pepper Sprinkle over the top and now serve immediately.
To prepare in advance:
- Up to two days ahead of time, make Italian Vinaigrette and store it in the refrigerator.
- Before few hours ahead of time, prep all Italian Chopped Salad ingredients—store sliced tomatoes and lettuce in their separate closed containers in the fridge. Store black olives, red onion, pepperoncini, salami, and provolone together in a closed container in the refrigerator.
- If you store the salad independently from the Vinaigrette, it will remain significant for up to 4 days.
- When we able to serve, assemble salad as directed in the Instructions above.
Let me know how you like this recipe in the comments! Your feedback is so important to me.